Monday 10 March 2014

The base is built..... Let's build...

Hello all

I hope you're all well and enjoying the dry sunny weather that been around the last few days. I've now completed ten weeks of base training. 10 weeks of long slow, boring, dull, low heart rate training. 10 weeks of feeling I'm getting slower, going backwards with my fitness, with my times and feeling sluggish. However I do feel like there's been a bit of a breakthrough this last two weeks, my run times have come down slightly at the same heart rate, I've generally felt a bit less like a shot putter and more like an endurance athlete.... In the loosest terms that is! I had a good day out at Grindleford Gallop yesterday, expecting myself to struggle  but despite having a little excursion off piste and doing some extra distance I managed to come in quicker than I expected and most pleasingly felt stronger as the 21 miles progressed. I think what happened to me last Wednesday helped me enjoy this run more.......

This weeks training:
Monday: rest day...... I usually sneak a core or spin session in here but had a meeting at Glossop Tri club, my triathlon club. We've only been going almost a year now and it's a great club/ community
with really high quality coaching.... I would recommend anybody and everybody to join a club.... It
will be the single most effective action you can ever take to improve your performance.

Tuesday: 2500m swim set am 1 hour run pm

Wednesday: Brick Session. 45 mins bike then 15 min run from the bike. All my training has been based on my heart rate. I'd charged my heart rate monitor watch as normal, put it on my wrist and trotted off to the garage as normal at 6am...... Noooooo o o o o o o o! It wouldn't turn on Noooooooooo! It was garmingeddon...... How will I survive! How can I do a session without checking my heart rate every 30 secs!

Thursday: 2500m swim set am  track session at Stockport Harriers pm....... With no watch! I took it
but again it wouldn't turn... But two of the coaches did resuscitation  on it in the club tuck shop and by the time if finished my session it was back with us! I've been helping a friend with her marathon training and pacing but she enjoyed the distraction of timing each of the 25 laps of the track we did! Oooo almost forgot I did an hours strength training too.

Friday: unplanned rest day and a bit of Carbing up. I'd planned a bit of an easier week due to the run on Saturday and in preparation for me over cooking the miles on the bike next week in the sun of Cyprus


Saturday: Grindleford Gallop 21 miles off road run, great fun and even better cake..... Restricted myself to 1.5 pieces on route.......remember my current key goal of improving my nutrition  ;-) The sequel to Garmedgeddon.....Garmedgeddon two! Yep, the blumming thing wouldn't turn on again but I think that running with no idea of pace or distance travelled really helped my enjoyment of what is one of my favourite races. Anyway...time is merely a fourth dimension that some people choose to measure in an arbitrary way....that's one of those things I say to myself when I'm having "having a word"!

Sunday: Easy bike ride in the glorious sunshine and watching loads of people get shiny new pb's at Trafford 10k.

So a bit of an easier week in preparation for Grindleford and in anticipation of  next week with lots of sunny bike miles in Cyprus. The bases training is finished and now I start the "build" phase....the swim sets go up to 3000 metres and I'm allowed to add in some little bits of faster paced running and cycling into the ever increasing distances....I'm excited and apprehensive in equal measure about this as I've found the base phase a bit dull but I know this next few weeks will be  better but that it will be tough and I will probably be sick at some point.....Good times :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment